Our vision is to be a recognised international leader in accelerating innovation that transforms citizens’ health and wellbeing.
Leveraging the exceptional academic and clinical assets of Greater Manchester, we bring together basic research, translational research, clinical demand, and industry know-how and investment under a single umbrella; focused wholly on the needs of a population of 2.8m people. Our offer as an Academic Health Science System works across Greater Manchester and also encompasses East Lancashire and East Cheshire.
Operating within a devolved health and social care system enables us to create a unique infrastructure and environment for industry innovators to flourish – with a single gateway and innovation pathway, world-class informatics infrastructure, clear view of system needs, and processes that enable speedier decision-making and more certain routes to adoption.
Select key assets include:
- A reputation for clinical and translational research aligned to strengths in clinical trials and ground-breaking work in real-world drug trials.
- Excellence in experimental medicine and biomedical research including major infrastructure for stratified medicine, proteomics, biomarkers, molecular pathology and cancer research.
- Internationally recognised strength in health informatics, the Farr Institute and NorthWest EHealth.
- New multi-site Biomedical Research Centre (BRC), harnessing world-class expertise, especially in the field of precision medicine.
- Academic excellence in the fields of social care and training of allied health professionals.
- Leading clinical assets and high performing NHS Trust hospitals including The Christie which is globally respected for its work in cancer treatment, and Salford Royal, home to the most mature electronic patient record system in the UK.
For more about our role see our brochure here